Saturday, April 7, 2012

Building a Fence - Part II

Today we set out to finish our fence project (for Building a Fence - Part I, click here). We left off last time having dug the post holes, leveled the 4x4 posts, and anchored them in concrete. After it had cured a bit, we filled in the holes with dirt, and left the concrete to harden overnight.

In the meantime, James prepared two fence sections to fit between the 4x4 posts. To make them, we used 2x4s for the horizontal pieces at the top and bottom, and pre-cut 48" 2x2 posts, spaced 3.5" apart. He started with a 2x4, pre-drilled each vertical post and the 2x4, and anchored each 4x4 post to the 2x4 with a black construction screw. We decided to use these screws because they will look good as the wood weathers, and provide an interesting design detail.
Once both horizontal pieces had all of their vertical pieces attached, it was time to measure the distance between the 4x4 posts carefully, and cut the 2x4s to fit. In retrospect, it probably would have been better to attach the top 2x4 to the 4x4 posts first, and then attach the vertical 2x2s. At the time it seemed easier to attach the verticals to the 2x4 with it lying flat on the Workmate, but that did make it more difficult to cut the 2x4s to the right size.
We then worked together to hold the fence segment to the right height, placed a long level on top of it to make sure it was level, pre-drilled and screwed the 2x4 to each 4x4 fence post. We attached one screw on each side, checking the level as we went, and then went back for a second screw on each side.
We then lined up the bottom 2x4 with the bottom of the vertical posts, and screwed it to the 4x4 posts using the level again to make sure it was straight.
And this is how it looked once it was done! We still have to screw each vertical piece into the bottom 2x4, but that and building the gate will have to wait for another day.

2 comments:

  1. The fence looks fabulous! Building a fence it's a great investment.

    Privacy Fence

    ReplyDelete
  2. After it had cured a bit, we filled in the holes with dirt, and left the concrete to harden overnight. momswriteconstruction

    ReplyDelete